Sunday, September 27, 2009

Been neglecting the blog

These past few days have been hectic. I began a new job and have been working with many kids so it has been a great experience. The only setback is that I got a bit ill. I recently took the flu shot and that has helped me tremendously. However, I managed to pick up some strep from the schools. I've been attending ARDs and other meetings with the children as an advocate, but I just never thought I'd get ill like this.

I started feeling ill on Wednesday and by Thursday, well, the body aches were so bad. Good thing is I had some Amoxicillin I had bought in Mexico during a recent trip. This has helped my immune system, but I still am a bit weak. Needless to say, I didn't have much time to write and post on the blog.

Through out this "daze", we almost lost Jack, our cute Angora to issues with possibly snuffles. I had not had the energy to blow the coats or be with the rabbits, so Johnny helped me out. He said the rabbits were all doing great, but on Saturday, he noticed that Jack was not moving much and he is very rambunctious. Well, I finally got off my couch and went to check on the rabbits. I saw Jack not moving much and with droopy eyes. Before anything, I took him out and used a stethoscope to hear his heart beat and respiratory system. Well, he had this horrible wheezing sound when breathing. I was not sure what to think and it was late to take him to the Vet. I checked him more carefully and saw that his nose was almost clogged up with some hair and mucus. Poor baby was not breathing and was suffocating. I quickly used some saline solution and a warm moist towelette and cleaned his nose. It was a bit tough as the mucus and hair was really stuck. I had to use some small scissors and i managed to clip off the "clog" and then utilized more saline solution to clean the nostrils. He quickly stopped wheezing and his heart beat got back to a normal rhythm.

I kept going back during the night to check up on him and he was doing well. Today, he was bouncing up a bit, eating well and drinking lots of fluids. I cleaned his nostrils again, but he did not have discharge like last night. right now, I checked on him and he is looking great. However, we still will take him to the Exotics Vet on Wednesday for his check-up as we do not want to take any chances.

So many things happen when one gets ill!

No comments:

Post a Comment