Friday, November 4, 2011

ARBA Convention 2011

I have neglected my blog for quite some time. In fact, the "Road To Angora" Website I had is no longer working, since I failed to keep up the fee for maintenance. Supposedly, the site was free, but $5.00 fee to upgrade and when I stopped the payments, the website collapsed. Well, i have to create a new one soon, but this will be done using my Dream Weaver software, once I learn to use it.

One of the reasons I had not kept up with my blog and web page was because of so many issues going on in our personal life. My mother's illness, my oldest son leaving the nest, work being hectic, my younger son being silly (no, he is good, but gives his teachers grief), and also, because I just was not really feeling the excitement to raise and show rabbits. Yes, after our situation that happened two years ago, things just were not the same.

However, I maintained contact with my "rabbit friends" and I am glad I did. Although I had one rabbit from my original stock, I managed to acquire a breeding pair that produced 2 nice rabbits, and I bought another one from my friends, John and Sasha. I kept up with them, but the heat this year was horrendous. There was no way we could compete in any show.

Well, I had, for the longest time wanted to attend the ARBA Convention, but something happened and I could not make it, but this year, all changed. I was able to go alone to Convention and I Loved it! Yes, the 20 hour driving trip each way was tough, but well worth it.

I am excited to say that I had the great pleasure of not only seeing my good friends, John & Sasha McPhearson, and Dana Faber, but had the pleasure of seeing my good friend Margaret Bartold, too. I finally had the pleasure of meeting Linda Cassella in person, and also met Marcus Rhoden, Janet Gruber, Candy Haenszel, Betty Chu, Jack Bailey & his wife, Joan Hastings, and many other awesome angora rabbit breeders.

I had the pleasure of seeing first hand the awesome angoras and how fierce the competition is at Convention. Breeders really put their best rabbits on the show table and carefully take their time to groom them, blow coats, and get them ready for the show. I also saw, unfortunately, the sad side of showing, where some breeders bring to show poorly maintained rabbits, which not only is offensive to a Judge, but a sad impression for angora breeders and non angora breeders.

Overall, I had a wonderful time! I was fortunate to bring back home 2 awesome angoras, one from Margaret Bartold and the other from Linda Cassella. Linda's buck will be the sire in my rabbitry and I do hope will begin strengthening and improving what I currently have. I plan to begin the breeding soon, now that the summer heat is dissipating. However, I do not know if I will be able to compete in next year's Convention in Kansas, which I definitely plan to attend.

I took several pictures of the Angora shows mainly and I will be working on some posts for the following days. I am exhausted, as I'm sure my rabbits are, too, after driving for 20 hours on my return home. However, I must say, I feel invigorated and excited to show once again and continue enjoying this hobby, which has always helped me relax and enjoy the fun and friendships I make at shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment