Thursday, May 1, 2014

Processing English Angora Wool for Spinning

This is how English Angora wool may be processed to spin into yarn. I processed this nice batch of wool to trade for a very nice hand spindle.
 
 

The wool is collected:

 I take out of bag and prepare it to be carded.

Here is the wool in my drum carder.
 
The wool is carefully removed from the drum carder and placed on a chair so I can care work the rolag.
 


I carefully prepare the rolag into small bundle and set aside. In this case, Here are five bundles of fluff. I like to store my wool in paper until I am ready to use it. In this case, it was going out to a lady that is anxiously awaiting these bundles of softness.


Once prepared, I store the wool in ziplock bags. In this case, I removed the air from the bags and squished them as much as I could to fit them in the envelope. The great thing about angora is that once the ziplock bags are opened, the bundles will fluff up again as if nothing happened.

 
 
I am often asked if I spin the wool myself and sell. I typically do spin the wool into yarn, which I either sell or knit or weave to give out as gifts. Not all angora breeders use the wool themselves, but I do. I love to work with the wool and create nice useable items.

No comments:

Post a Comment