Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Long time I don't post

I just realized that it has been such a long time since I posted on my blog. I need to get back on track. Being plagued with lots of work (as if that was bad, lol); some family illness, and of course, my oldest son moving out of the nest, have had a toll on me.

The good thing for us is that we have several English Angoras that I am hoping will continue to develop well enough to take to ARBA Convention this year. Yes, this year has been good to us. We had several litters and I've kept the best that we have, the rest were culled. I hope they continue to develop good enough to compete with the big'uns up there.

I've noticed that there are several people now in Texas that are getting into the breed and I hope they know what they are getting into in terms of care and husbandry. Therefore, I am hoping to get back on track on my program and blog and add some articles or video vignettes about the Angora breeds.

It will be good to see who is really in it for the long haul and who are just in it for the novelty or trying to make a buck out of this awesome breed. I've seen several people come and go, realizing that this breed requires extra care and there is not much money to be made out of, as breeding high quality angoras is not just simply placing a buck and doe together. Furthermore, the problem many are making is purchasing rabbits from unknown or obscure rabbitries that do not even show and are breeding indiscriminantly and sell to the unsuspecting victim. One thing I wonder is why would they not approach the "big name breeders" that have the best quality? Perhaps, the reason is that the "big name breeders" sell selectively only the ones fully committed to the breed and are NOT in it to make a buck out of this awesome breed. Overall, like everything in life, only the ones with the true intentions will last in the end.

P. Ricardo

1 comment: